Blue Mountains Birth Doula and Breastfeeding Support
About Aimee ~ Who am I?
Doula~Breastfeeding Counsellor~Space Holder
Birth Advocate~Academic~Birth Activist
What’s Different About Aimee?
Lived, personal experience of giving birth in hospital, at home, via caesarean and vaginally (after caesarean).
Capacity to understand and interpret current scientific research (thanks to a doctorate from my ‘past life’ as a researcher)
I am passionate about women’s birth choices and rights. Consequently, I volunteer with the Australian Breastfeeding Association, Maternity Choices Australia and Doula Network Australia, and coordinate Homebirth New South Wales and Homebirth Australia.
Heavily involved and connected within, the pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding and parenting world.
I’m a Blue Mountains local and therefore have connections with a range of birth workers and practitioners.
I’m passionate about informed choices and thus believe every woman should be supported to birth where and with who they feel safest! Additionally, they should be supported to feed their babies how they decide, and held to raise their babies their own way.
- Bachelor of Science (Advanced) completed 2011
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) completed 2012
- Doctorate of Philosophy (Plant Physiology) completed 2016
- Certificate IV in Breastfeeding Education (Counselling) completed 2017
- Birth Doula (via Life Options) completed 2017
- Spinning Babies training completed 2018
- Sacred Menarche Practitioner completed 2019
- Reconnected Parenting Course completed 2020
- Doulas At A Distance Training (Penny Simkin) completed 2020
- How to lead birth story circles (Virginia Bobro) completed 2020
- Birth trauma awareness training (Doctor Erin) completed 2020
- Counselled >300 mums through breastfeeding difficulties
- >500 hours providing pregnancy, birth and postnatal support
- >400 hours providing breastfeeding assistance over the phone
- >100 hours birth planning over the phone
- Countless mother’s groups facilitated
- Supported first time, caesarean and VBAC mums, homebirths and births in private/public hospitals
- Personal experience of caesarean, homebirth, Vaginal Birth After Caesarean (VBAC) and HBAC
- Over 6 years personal breastfeeding experience
- Breastfeeding counsellor with Australian Breastfeeding Association for 4 years
- Resource counsellor with ABA
- Editor and Coordinator of Homebirth New South Wales
- Coordinator of Homebirth Australia
- Newsletter coordinator with Doula Network Australia
- Committee member with Maternity Choices Australia
- Led a nation-wide consumer rally for women’s birth rights (2018)
How can I help you?
As your doula
I can provide you with support in different ways:
Massage, counter-pressure, acupressure, positioning, breathing, hypnosis…
Listening while you talk; we’ll laugh and cry together and I’ll be there with you!
Current research, hospital policy and procedures, contacts, reading materials, options and alternatives. We can map your preferences so you can advocate for yourself.
I can help you feel held and connected, and will be guided by you as to how best to integrate your own beliefs into these experiences.
I can support your cultural needs and traditions, guided by you in how to best support you.
I don’t take your partner’s place! Instead, I facilitate an environment in which your partner can be more involved, providing you both with necessary support.
Feel held and supported with continuous care throughout pregnancy, birth and postpartum. We’ll meet, work through your fears and hopes and create a plan, together. I am on call for your birth and come to you for appointments before and after.